- An Indian Fss took several days of mc (medical leave),went back to India and not only attended her friend's wedding but be a bridesmaid as well.
- Another Indian girl took mc in Delhi where she night stopped,extended her stay by 2 nights and invited her relatives and friends to party in her hotel room ( expenses like meal allowances,night stop allowances,hotel room bill for the extra 2 nights paid by the company)
- A few Indian Fss bought mc from bogus doctors in India and some got away with it while others were discovered by the company.
- One Indian trainee who couldn't cope with the training in S'pore came up with the story that her mother had a heart attack in Delhi,begged the bosses and left for home,never to return again. Bond couldn't be recovered by SIA.
- Mcs were taken on the pretext of being sick or unable to work due to menstruation at overseas stations were common. The best part was these crew were paid extra allowances ( In Europe it could amount to US$100 a day) and the co. foot the hotel bill for the extra days stay ( about US$ 200 a day in London for example). Moreover,consulting a doctor at outstations is very expensive and the " poor " rich company paid for it.
- A Chinese Fss took more than a week mc in Beijing and went for an abortion.
- Another one took mc to get married back home.
- One married Chinese fss lied to the ROM(registry of marriage)in Singapore that she was single and wanted to register her marriage with my ex colleague. Our ROM officers were suspicious and refused to marry them. ( Purpose of getting married to a Singaporean was a shortcut to obtaining Singapore permanent residence).
- An Indonesian fss absconded from her stewardess post with a domestic airline and got a job with SIA ( she was under bond at that time with the domestic airline).
- A flight from Cairns (SIA has since stopped flying to Cairns)flew back with a shortage of 2 fss because they fell "sick" and had 2 days of mc.Their boy friends were in Cairns to "care" for them...again all expenses paid for by the company.
- A steward was caught issuing himself with mc and forging company's doctor signatures. He stole a booklet of mc from the clinic.
- At least 5 crew were sacked when they were caught illegally transporting goods to Jakarta for a local company in Singapore. ( A local co. called "House of C..." was under investigation from IRAS for tax evasion and officers discovered the "transaction").
- Smuggling? Quite a number of crew had been apprehended by the authorities. Please refer to my earlier entries.
- There many more cases but I think what I have mentioned will sufficed for the time being.
Of course,the above were only those cases that came to my mind this morning.There were many more cases of lies and abuses by some of the crew.
I believe SIA had rectified and tied up most of the loopholes to reduced the above from happening.
However,please,please note the above are only a fraction of the 7,000 cabin crew SIA has. I would say 90% of the cabin crew are honest, conscientious and loyal employees which include the Chinese,Indonesian and all other foreign crew.