My dear friends, I have read the Heart Party's explanation of the issues and understand what is happening.
I realize that there is too much confusion being caused right now and hope you will read this sms and understand what is happening and vote 1 to 20 as our future is important and we need RATIONAL and HONEST people to improve things in Cabin Crew.
SUMMARY OF SIASU CABIN CREW BRANCH ELECTION 2010 ISSUES
1. Restoring of Menu Card Formula to determine LMA would result in 20% reduction in our LMA as meal allowance is based on reimbursement.
NO VIABLE LEGAL DEFENCE TO PREVENT THIS.
EXAMPLE, IF YOU PAY YOUR HELPER $30 FOR HER TO BUY A SHIRT WORTH $30 AT METRO, BUT METRO HAD A DISCOUNT FOR THAT DAY AND YOUR HELPER PAID ONLY $20, CAN SHE REFUSE TO RETURN THE $10 IF YOU ASK HER BACK THE AMOUNT?
Pilots did not adopt the IRAS formula but they had NO increment to their CA.
When the Heart Party Union moved to IRAS per diem formula, they also secured a 3% increment in CA 2009.
Increments were made in Turnaround allowances, IFA rate increase for non-ranking or IFA lump sum into Basic for ranking crew and overall increments to gratuities were secured.
2. IRAS per diem rates were affected by Global economic crisis in 2009 as they are reviewed yearly.
Menu Card rates during the period were not affected as they are reviewed over 2 years and previous review was in June 2008, before Global Economic crisis.
Also currency reviews are done every 6 months in the Menu card formula. This enabled it to capture steep Aussie and Japanese currency increments in JAN 2010.
Different formulas will have different rates but because it was too steep especially for Australia and Japan, it was not equitable for 2 sets of employees to have such different allowances in the same station. That is why the Heart Party temporarily pegged LMA rates back to Pilots’ rate until everyone is on a common formula. The rate differences were sufficiently covered with Hotel Savings Bonus, which is only payable if we are on IRAS per diem formula, and as such, would be suspended for now.
Currently Pilots have been served S.21 of the Industrial Relations Act to adopt IRAS per diem formula or accept 20% reduction in LMA with Menu Card formula.
Also, after talking with a few of them, I realized, LATEST Menu card LMA rates have dropped 5% to 8% compared with IRAS per diem formula mainly because of the recent appreciation of the Singapore Dollar. The latest Menu Card formula LMA Rates have not been released as the Pilots are negotiating to maintain January 2010 rates.
Do not let opposition parties confuse you with their lack of understanding on the issues.
I realize the Heart Party knows what they are doing!
Read the HEART Party’s MAIN PRINT OUT TO UNDERSTAND THE ISSUES clearly.
3. Definition of 1st Class hotel as determined by the Company is ambiguous and has not protected us from poor hotels in the past.
It does not lock-in the requirement to consult the Union.
Friends, honestly haven't our quality of hotels improved under the Heart Party?
Even the number of hotels stayed together with Pilots has increased from 30 to 34 hotels out of 50 stations.
4. Maternity benefits of ex-gratia 2 months salary and additional 2 months from Government for Singapore Citizen child births were secured by the Heart Party.
Opposition team compared with SilkAir but did not understand that SilkAir has a part time pool, which enables them to maintain employment during pregnancy and enjoy maternity benefits.
SIA female crew are contractually ceased from employment allowing Company to circumvent the legislations concerning Maternity benefits. No pay leave proposal not viable given Company’s resistance to having a part time pool.
Despite this, ALAN TAN AND THE HEART PARTY UNION SECURED THE MATERNITY BENEFITS.
They know what they are doing. Opposition does not understand the issues clearly and are just criticizing.
I rather vote for achievers than critics.
5. I also understand from the HEART PARTY that Management is resistant to not only an additional contract term of 5 years for contract crew as proposed by opposition but also a confirmed gratuity at the end of an additional last term.
They have discussed this with Management before and have been negotiating for 6-year contract terms with higher gratuities instead to which Management is less resistant.
6. Friends, HEART PARTY IS ON THE VERGE OF SECURING A MECHANISM OF CONVERTING MALE CREW ON CONTRACT TERMS TO TENURE. They need your mandate to get this done.
7. HEART PARTY HAS BEEN NEGOTIATING AUTOMATIC EXTENSION OF CS AND IFS ON TENURE TO 59 AND FS AND LS ON TENURE TO 57.
And the Management has no strong objection to this.
I believe Alan Tan and the Heart Party WILL secure these very important matters and the opposition would make things worse as seen in their lack of understanding on the issues thus far.
Please friends, after reading all the election materials, I understand and appreciate what Alan Tan and the Heart Party have done for us thus far and know that only the HEART PARTY can ensure a brighter future for us.
Please VOTE FOR ALAN TAN AND THE HEART PARTY.
VOTE 1 to 20.