Chicken rice got peanut soup one... more




Wednesday, 12 January 2011

SIA crew hospitalised in San Francisco

The New Paper | Tue, Jan 11 2011
Officials suspect they were poisoned by carbon monoxide, which was present in the hotel they were staying at.


MEMBERS from Singapore Airlines (SIA) cabin crew staying in a San Francisco hotel fell ill last week after what officials suspect to be carbon monoxide poisoning.

The San Francisco Marriott Marquis hotel issued a statement on Friday saying that four guests had "complained of flu-like symptoms". They were taken to hospital for treatment after the fire department assessed the situation.


Marriott spokesman Sam Singer said the affected guests were taken to hospital and diagnosed with dehydration, reported San Francisco news website Examiner.com.

Meanwhile, an SIA spokesman told The New Paper yesterday that three cabin crew members had been hospitalised.

She said: "Three Singapore Airlines cabin crew members staying at the San Francisco Marriott Marquis hotel were treated in hospital after falling ill.

"The San Francisco Marriott Marquis hotel has confirmed that carbon monoxide was present in the guests' rooms and from an external source."

Lieutenant Mindy Talmadge from the San Francisco fire department told online newspaper SF Appeal that fire crew discovered a "strange looking" pipe in an Indian restaurant next to the Marriott.

When the water heater was turned on in the restaurant, carbon monoxide readings in the hotel shot up to 250 parts per million. Normal carbon monoxide levels are about 25parts per million, Lt Talmadge said.

The SIA spokesman said that they have been in close contact with the affected crew members throughout.

"All three have been examined by doctors and determined to be medically fit to fly. "They will return to Singapore very soon."

This article was first published in The New Paper.

No comments: