SIA provides all its crew (tech & cabin crew) with comfortable hotels at outstations where they night-stop. When looking for crew hotels, SIA will consider some of these points:
- Security/safety of the crew. The hotel must be situated in a secure and safe area with no record of robbery/theft/molest/rape etc.
- Preferably near eateries/cafes/restaurants.
- Within shopping areas/centres.
- Affordable but with 5 star status. Most of the time,the hotels would give SIA a hefty discount rates up to 50% of its regular rates. However, the contract must be for at least one to two years.
- Near train/bus stations.
- Near the airports if the stay is overnight.
With the crew LMA (location meal allowances) pegged to the hotel menu prices, downgrading to cheaper hotels mean lower LMA for the crew.
Throughout my 35 years with SIA, I must say that the hotels we stayed were fabulously comfortable and convenient with the exception of one or two.
We hope SIA will be very profitable again in the near future so the crew will be accommodated in the premium hotels once again.