It's a pity that of the 7,500 cabin crew, only about 50% are unionised. Out of the 50% (3,750) a small number voted for their union representatives (2695 cast their votes). The voting stretched for 11 days and so it's little excuse that almost 900 members did not vote.
The reasons most did not join the union are:
- The employer is very good to the workers so there is no need to be union members.
- $9 per month union membership fees is too costly.
- Why be members when you can get all the perks, salary increase etc the union fights for its members?
- Some felt the union has done nothing constructive for them.
- Some have resigned from the union in the last few years.
- Membership drive is not done aggressively.
There may be other reasons besides the ones I've mentioned.