Why would a crew smuggle gold, drugs and contraband etc?
The following may be the reasons:
- Financial difficulties due to gambling losses, housing and car mortgages etc.
- To keep up with the Jones or the Ah Bengs.
- Support families and children's education (many older crew have children studying in overseas universities).
- Pure greed.
- Smuggling syndicates reassure that it is safe.
- and other reasons not mentioned above.
Without a doubt, the crew knows the penalties if caught. They may be fined,jailed and lose their jobs.
The latest case whereby an IFM was caught in Delhi for attempting to smuggle a kilogram of gold was supposed to profit a paltry sum of $500. I won't even do it for a million bucks or would you?
Image: credit to Lewis Malka